1. Know your audience. Just like when writing other types of articles, it’s a must that you know and understand the people who’ll read your copies. Determine the kinds of news that they find interesting and know their level of comprehension so you can easily produce news articles that are tailor-fit to their needs and preferences.
2. Go with controversial issues. As a journalist, you must know that controversy always sell in the field of news writing. So, keep your eyes open for this type of issues and make sure that you’ll be the first one to write about them. This is a surefire way to easily get recognized in this field.
3. Extensive research. Strive to offer your readers with all the information that they need to know. Do not leave any stone unturned when doing your research. Ensure that you get all the angles of your story before you start writing.
4. Verify your data. This is something that is not negotiable. As you surely want to avoid complaints, cross reference your resources to make sure that every piece of information you include in your articles is based on facts.
5. Use the inverted pyramid technique. I am sure you already know that people who read news articles pay attention only to the first paragraph. So, give them everything that they need to know on this part. Tell them what happened and the impact of your story to their lives using as few words as possible.
6. Keep it short. Keep in mind that this is not an essay writing content. Your readers will be much happier if your keep your articles direct to the point and concise.